Sunday, September 5, 2010

What trusting a Guru really means ? Sadhguru

Questioner : Sadhguru, you say we should not simply believe anything, but rather experiment with life and see for ourselves. However, it seems to grow spiritually, tremendous trust in the Guru is needed. So what is the difference between the belief and trust ?

Sadhguru : Belief springs from your expectation. You have a set of rights and wrongs, goods and bads, divines and devils within you. When you say “I believe you”, you are expecting that I am going to live according to your rights and wrongs. Suppose I do something which is not within the field of your rights and wrongs, then the first thing that will happen is, you are going to come to me and say,”I believed you, and you did this”. So all that you are trying to do is, you want to mold me into your limitations. If your Guru can be contained within your limitations, then you better not go anywhere near that man because he will be of no help to you. He will solace you, he will comfort you, but this man is bondage; this man is not liberation. Trust is difference. Trust is your quality; it is not subject to anything else; it is simply there. When you say “I trust”, it means that you are not subjecting me to any particular kind of action, to any set of expectations that you have within you. When you say, “I trust”, it means’ “It does not matter what you do, I trust”. That is not falling into the framework of your limitations.

I never asked you to trust me. The very reason why I never used the word “trust” with people is because it is badly corrupted. If at all anybody here spoke about trust, it is to raise you beyond your own likes and dislikes, your own goods and bads, your own limitations. The basis of your personality are your likes and dislikes. The very feeling of “I trust you” raises you beyond this bundle of likes and dislikes,”no matter what you do, I trust you”. Trust does not mean, “If you do this, I trust you; If you do this, I don’t trust you”. That is believing, you are trying to fix the other person into your expectations. If you really want to make use of a Guru’s Presence, you must be willing to allow that Presence to overwhelm you, to overpower you, to destroy you in one way. At least for those few moments that you are with him, you should be no more yourself. Who you consider yourself to be should be absent in his Presence.

If this doesn’t happen, whatever you are talking about is of no significance. So, when people spoke about trust, this is what it meant, that you allow somebody else to enter you. If you have to allow somebody else to enter you, you have to become vulnerable. It is dangerous; you don’t know what he will do. Once he enters you, you are subject to anything, that’s always the fear, isn’t it so ? The very reason why you have built walls is, somewhere when you made yourself vulnerable, somebody did something which was not your expectation; this became a big fear and you built walls around yourself. Now, when you say, “I trust you”, you are willing to pull that wall down. Pulling that wall down means that somebody else does not have to live within the framework of your expectations. Whatever that person may do, it is okay with you. So one aspect is, the Presence of the Guru, the quality of who he is, does things to you. Another thing is, the moment you create that kind of situation that you are not bothered about what is going to happen to you, that itself is transformation.

The time frame I have with people is limited.  So I am making myself available only as a Presence, not as a person.  As a person, I am just keeping a certain face – in many ways within the framework of your expectations. If I have to use my person also as a device, then it needs much more trust, and maybe more time. People who are with me for longer periods of time find me an impossible person, which I am not with you. [Laughs] I am not yet using my person as a device with you because it needs more time, otherwise you will run away. You will definitely run away If I start using my person as a device. Only with a few people, I use my person as a device; with others, only my Presence.

See, right now you are a certain person; this personality is an unconscious creation of yours. This personality that you call “myself” is in some ways an accident, depending upon what kind of situations you have been exposed to. You took in certain impressions, and you became this kind of person. Your personality is constantly evolving, beaten around by life. Whichever way your life beats you, you will become that kind of shape and form. The situation around you are not expert sculptors; if you are being beaten around by every event that happens around you, in the end you will be a very ugly, shapeless person, that’s for sure, because it is an unconscious creation. Your personality is constantly being constructed by external situations. The way they beat you around, that is how your personality is. The one whom you call as Guru ins not a person. The whole process of self-realization means someone has transcended his personality and then he carefully crafts a personality as it is necessary for the kind of role that he wants to play.

In a limited way, on the surface, you too are building your personality to suit your activity. A being who is experiencing himself beyond limitations, does it in a very deep way. He structures every aspect of his life as it is necessary for the role that he has chosen to play; it is a conscious construction. When it is a conscious construction, it is just a device; it is not bondage anymore. Any moment, he can just pull it down. I first spoke about the Dhyanalinga in the “Wholeness Program”. This was a ninety day program with a certain group of people that we conducted in the middle of a forest. In this commited atmosphere, I started changing my personality.

Every day, they saw a new person. Some people were terrified, some of them were overjoyed, some of them were broken, some of them were made, but they saw that every day, I was building a new kind of person because I was stepping into a new role. My earlier personality could not have suddenly fulfilled that purpose, because people’s ability to experience my Presence is very limited; they mostly experience me as a person. Generally, your mind judges, “Oh, he is a good man, he is a bad man. He is a polite man; he is a generous man; he is an impolite man; he is an abrasive person”. Just in very rare moments, you are able to experience the Presence; most of the time, you are only clinging to the person. So the moment I announced the Dhayanalinga, I changed my personality completely. A few people who were deeply involved with the work just left because they said, “This is not fair; this is not the man that we came with.” I had prepared the situation, I had told them it was going to happen, but they didn’t take it as if it was really going to happen.

When it really started happening, suddenly the person that they knew, they loved and trusted, was just disappearing and a totally new person was coming up. I had warned them, “As I evolve this, many of you will leave.” They didn’t believe it, “No, we are commited. We like what you are doing. We are with you.” [Laughs] But when I started structuring a different person because I had to fulfill a completely different role, it was too shattering for them. This is happening to you in your lives, too, please see. People whom you think you love and trust, when their personality begins to change in the smallest ways, your reactions are violent, isn’t it ? So a Guru constructs his personality fully consciously the way it is necessary for this work. And even now, the way I operate has a person is very different in different places. It may be shocking for you if you see me in other kinds of situations. Suddenly you would feel,”I don’t know this man. Who is he ?” Because you have fallen into the comfort of knowing this kind of person, when you see another kind of person, you are unable to handle it.

So generally, a Guru creates his personality in such a way that people don’t know whether to love it or to hate it. He carefully crafts a personality where one moment, you think, “Yeah, I’m really in love with this man.” Next moment, you may feel completely different about him. And both of these emotions are not allowed to cross certain lines. Within those lines, you are constantly being thrashed around, so that after some time you will know, this is not a person. This is not a human being. Either he is a devil, or he must be divine.

That which is not in your experience cannot be taught to you intellectually. It can only be taught to you by taking you to a different dimension of experience. To take a person from from one dimension of experience to another dimension of experience , you need a device which is a higher level of intensity and energy. That device is what we call has Guru. The Guru-shishya relationship is on an energy basis. A Guru is touching you in a dimension where nobody else can touch you. There are many ways to move your energies to Agna. But from Agna to Sahasrar, there is no particular way to do anything; it is just a jump. It is because of this that the Guru-shishya relationship has been held as the most sacred relationship in this culture. If you have to take this jump, you need deep trust – otherwise, it is not possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
design by Grumpy Cow Graphics | Distributed by Deluxe Templates | Blogger Styles