Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Osho speaks on Ramana's experience of the pain of the body

Happiness and suffering happen due to our past actions. So do not think that physical suffering or happiness will not happen to those who have become liberated while living.

Ramana Maharshi died of cancer. It was very painful, naturally. It was a deep malady -- there was no way of escaping it. Many doctors came, and they were very puzzled because the whole body was torn with pain but there was no sign of any pain in his eyes. His eyes remained the same serene lakes as ever. Through his eyes only the witnessing self arose; it was the witnessing self that looked, that observed.

Doctors would ask, "You must be in great pain?" Ramana would reply, "Yes there is great pain, but it is not happening to me. I am aware that there is great pain happening to the body; I know that there is great pain happening. I am seeing it, but it is not happening to me."

A question arises in the minds of many people as to how a man like Ramana, who is liberated and enlightened, get a disease like cancer.

This sutra has the answer to it. Happiness and sufferings will be happening to the body, even to those who are liberated while living, because these are related to past actions and their impressions, they are related to whatsoever has been done before becoming awakened.

Understand it this way: if I have sown some seeds in a field and then I become awakened, the seeds are bound to sprout. Had I remained sleeping, then too the seeds would have sprouted, flowered and come to fruition. Now too they will sprout, flower and come to fruition. There will only be one difference: had I been still asleep I would think it to be my crop and keep it close to my chest. Now that I am awake, I will understand that the seeds were already sown and now they are reaching their destiny; nothing of it is mine, I will just go on witnessing. If I had remained asleep I would have harvested the crop and preserved the new seeds so that I could sow them next year. Now that I am awake I will just go on witnessing: seeds will sprout, flowers will come, fruits will grow, but I will not gather them. Those fruits will grow and fall off on their own accord and die. My relationship with them will snap. My relationship with them before was of having sown them -- now I will not do that again. Thus no further relationship will be formed.

So happiness and suffering keep coming to the liberated one also, but such a person knows that these are part of the chain of his past actions and now he has nothing to do with them: he will just go on witnessing.

When somebody comes and offers flowers at the feet of Ramana, he just goes on watching -- it must be a part of some past chain of actions that prompt this person to give him happiness. But Ramana does not take the happiness; the person gives, but he does not take it. Should he take, the journey of a new action will begin. He does not prevent the person from offering flowers -- "Don't give happiness to me, don't offer flowers to me, don't touch my feet" -- he does not prevent him, because that prevention too would be an action and another chain of action would begin.

Try to understand this. This man has come to offer flowers to Ramana; he has put a garland round his neck, he has put his head at his feet. And what is Ramana doing within? He is just watching: "There must be a past transaction with this man, some past impressions of action; the man is now completing it. But now the transaction has to come to an end, no further chain has to be created. This matter is finished here, it will not continue."

So he will just sit there and will not prevent that man from doing anything... because what will 'preventing' really mean? It will mean first, that you are not ready to take back the past action where you had given, and which you would have to take back when preventing this man's action. And second, you are creating another chain of relationship with this man by asking him not to do a certain thing. Now when will this new relationship end? You are creating another action; you are reacting.

No, Ramana will just go on watching, whether a man brings flowers to him or cancer comes. He will even watch the cancer happening.

6 comments:

  1. It is very deep but beautiful written. Both Ramana and Osho are great philosophers India has witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to say that I can not agree with what u , I mean, osho had told about Ramana maharishi's feelings. We can never assume or predict what a great soul like Ramana Maharishi must be thinking(or not thinking ) in his mind about a particular person or incident happening around him. I like Osho, I like Sadguru Jaggi Vasudev but I dont agree upon this particular assumption about Ramana Maharishi.
    AUM NAMASHIVAYA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, your disagreement sows a seed. It is enough to speak for a full tree to grow. When you are moved to analyze, interpret, know, understand, this is mere Jnana. More seeds, more forests, less sunlight.

      Delete
    2. osho is a buddha. he is not assuming. he is experiencing the same thing that ramana is experiencing. he's just using the story to tell you what buddha's experience. the story is just a tool/vehicle to reach the truth, a finger pointing towards the moon. Look at the moon and not the finger

      Delete
  3. Ramana is a gnani and with full mano nigraha(annhiliation of mind). The person who put the flowers before him is also he since there is no other thing other than he has any existence in the world. Hence, commenting will only create dwaita and it is sheer non sense. One can never understand the sage with ordinary mind. It is better not to comment.

    ReplyDelete

 
design by Grumpy Cow Graphics | Distributed by Deluxe Templates | Blogger Styles